Monday, January 29, 2007

Men's, Ladies, Pairs LP

I'm not much of a dance fan.

The pairs long program was incredibly surprising. There were really only a handful of pairs I thought had a chance at medaling - Inoue/Baldwin, Nam/Leftheris, Vise/Trent, Vlassov/Meekins and a few others. Castile and Olaski (SP, I know) seemed completely off the radar, but they did a beautiful routine. There split 3 twist was incredible. Its a shame that the other two contenders, Nam/Leftheris and Inoue/Baldwin fell apart. Still, that's a great podium finish.

I wasn't surprised who won the men's event - Evan Lysacek. But I was surprised who won silver, Ryan Bradley. I was hoping Johnny would lay it down, like he does at every Nationals. He landed the quad, but everything seemed to fall apart after that. His routine lacked the beauty and feeling we know so well about Johnny and I am not surprised he fell to third. Unfortunately, while Johnny received his marks, he simultaneously explained how the Kiss & Cry got its name. Evan, meanwhile, had an incredible performance. A quad-triple. He was alive that program, and I hope he does incredible at Worlds.

Kimmie Meissner won the National title, as expected. Emily Hughes came in second, as expected. What wasn't expected was Alissa Czisny winning the free skate as well as the bronze medal. I was cheering her on in the short program - her spins, spirals and edge quality is light years beyond any of her competitors. Still, her jumps are inconsistent, and when she popped her lutz in the short, I knew it was over. Then, I saw the results for the long, and I couldn't believe she skated the best free skate of the night. Incredible. I'm glad to see her get her dues.

I couldn't help feeling sorry for Bebe Liang. She's been at Nationals for so long - since 2001 - and hasn't been on the podium (technically, her fourth place finish gives her a podium finish here). Placing fourth this year was her best ever. She could've held on to second or third had she not fallen on the second jump. Like, Czisny, Liang has great edge quality and good spirals and spins - better than many of the other ladies. Still, her consistency has always been a problem. I was giddy after her short programs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home