Thursday, October 18, 2007

Bethanie's Slightly Insane Quest for a Backyard Rink

Call me crazy.
Call me delusional.

But I'm going to try it.

We all know most of the ice found in Texas is located in your grandmother's glass of sweet tea in the middle of July.

So I am on a quest. Despite popular belief, ice is possible in Texas. Last November, I remember when we got about an eight of an inch of snow. There was a puddle of water in our front yard a couple inches deep; it was frozen completely solid for a couple days.

So that sparked an idea: if Canadians and Minnesotans can have backyard rinks, why can't Texans?!

Well, obviously temperature is a big deal. But if for three or four days out of the winter, if I can skate in my backyard rink, then building it in the first place is worth it. For the first time in my life, I have a backyard big enough to build a rink on. Weather is also a couple degrees colder in the country verses the city.

My father thinks its a ridiculous idea, but he gave me the okay, but I'm on my own. I have some experience building (I framed my room!) so I think I can handle it.

I'm going to start building in on November 1st, so I'll post some pictures as I head it up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home